TITLE OF POSITION: Media Manager and Archivist - Contract
ANNUAL ENTRY SALARY: $50,000 - $60,000 depending on experience
The Media Manager and Archivist is responsible for the audio and video assets collected and created by Mississippi Public Broadcasting (MPB), including the creation of metadata records and is responsible for policies regarding the creation, storage, preservation, organization, description, and access to these materials. The Media Manager and Archivist is responsible for initiating and maintaining outreach, reference, and collection development activities for MPB’s archives and other digital asset collections.
- The Media Manager and Archivist provides a wide range of services in collaboration with the entire MPB team. Applicants must have the ability to complete the following essential job functions:
- Lead and coordinate efforts with the identified external digitization partner, to transfer audio and video assets to tape or digital media as needed.
- Access, arrange, describe, and otherwise process manuscripts, photographs, audio-visual assets, oral histories, electronic records, and other materials in accordance with standard and local principles and practices.
- Assist in the appraisal of records and items within the collection. Maintain an accurate and complete collection description and inventory.
- Assist in the development of strategies for the preservation and reformatting of materials in the collection.
- Conduct basic preservation of materials such as cleaning and mending of damaged audio and visual material.
- Manage expectations and formats with the digital partner throughout the digitalization process and maintain an overall knowledge of the process.
- Creates and maintains a digital asset management system.
- Manages video archive media inventory and the processing of media content for archival preservation using current best practices for media preservation and storage.
- Oversees the curation and footprint of physical and digital assets and their integration into the media library using video file mastering, ingest/scan, or audio migration workflows.
- Provide quality assurance of legacy metadata for accuracy, completeness and data integrity of records and related digital assets.
- Ensure that the audiovisual collection items are accurately catalogued and indexed.
- Assist in updating and maintaining internal audiovisual databases.
- Assist in uploading newly digitized items in the newly created data management system.
- Manage descriptive, technical, administrative and preservation metadata for both accessibility and long-term preservation of digital assets and related metadata.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in a Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program or degree in Archival Studies with an emphasis in media archival management, preservation management or digital curation
two or more (2+) years of experience in an archive or media library working with video, film and sound formats
- Masters degree in related field.
- Experience with ingesting video into a Media Asset Management system.
- Two years’ experience in a Broadcast/Digital Media technical environment.
- Broadcast knowledge preferred.
All applicants may send their resumes/applications to email@example.com