Gulf States Newsroom
Too many local news outlets have disappeared in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. The Gulf States Newsroom was created to ensure that stories related to health care, criminal justice, the economy and other important issues continue to be told. WWNO and WRKF in Louisiana, WBHM in Alabama, Mississippi Public Broadcasting, and NPR are working together as a regional newsroom to plan coverage, share resources and add reporting power in a story-rich region that has for too long gone under-covered.
The Regional Team:
- Priska Neely, managing editor based at WBHM in Birmingham
- Stephan Bisaha, wealth and poverty reporter based at WBHM in Birmingham
- Shalina Chatlani, health care reporter based at WWNO in New Orleans
- Orlando Flores Jr.,digital editor based at WWNO in New Orleans
- Becca Schimmel, criminal justice reporter based at MPB in Jackson
Funding for the Gulf States Newsroom is provided in part by NPR and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.